Sunday, December 29, 2013

World Enough and Time On Creativity and Slowing Down by Christian McEwen

* * * * *
  • Paperback: 368 pages
  • Publisher: Bauhan; first edition (May 11, 2011)
  • ISBN-13: 978-0872331464


My dear friend, Janet, gifted me with this book for the holiday. She could not have chosen a more perfect gift! I began to read it as soon as I opened it and, having the luxury of time alone this Christmas, I spent the best part of the day reading it. It's been an inspiration for me, and I think that many of you might also benefit from reading it. 

Most of the creative people that I know experience times when the muse flees the mental coop, leaving us  brooding  about "what now"?  We wonder if this will be a short hiatus from our internal creative dialog or if, a paralyzing thought, the muse has left on a more permanent basis? Who are we if not one with our muse? I have personally found that more I give in to these thoughts, the more ludicrous and self-perpetuating they become. I have learned to accept, as benevolently as possible, these fallow times as a gift. A pause, if you will, in my internal need for accomplishment. 

This is an important book! Important for all human beings - not just those of us who aspire to create.

This is a book in which author, poet, teacher, Christian McEwen applauds the pauses, the fallow times, the quiet, and the stillness. The book hails the mindfulness of those who take note of the world around them, who can open their eyes and absorb the sounds that exist even in 'silence'. It gives a nod to slowness and reflection, it provides a relief filled bow to an appreciation for the stillness that can lead us to lead a more healthy, fulfilled life. Indeed, it is these slow times that can leave us more inspired rather than less so. For expressives it goes a long way to clarify why these untilled periods that we all experience in our creative lives, when the muse seems to have taken flight, are actually opportunities to dwell within and reflect, to recharge and to slow down and appreciate what 'is'. 

I had been feeling that I was not producing enough art work and that I should be working faster and more efficiently. In short, I felt that I was floundering just a bit. In the back of my mind I also acknowledged that I seem to be uniquely suited to retirement. I treasure my first morning hours now when I sit and read, taking the time to 'really' read, to makes notes, to study the history books that I enjoy so much. Also, I have a lot of interests and my days are almost never dull. I just kept feeling that I needed to go faster, even though I really did not want to! 

In retrospect I think that those weeks of slight worry were symptomatic of my "monkey mind" at work and also, possibly, a part of the whole internal process of retiring. I do believe that there are stages that one goes through when you leave your work of many years and bid adieu to your 'work family'. It's a loss in a way, and because of that perhaps a bit of mourning comes into play. I was giddy for the first couple of months, giggling to myself over the wee bit of luscious lazy that I continue to luxuriate in each morning as I read away an hour or two. Occasionally, truth be told, I do experience a sporadic bit of fear over the future of my finances, and for me, the occasional, yet insistent thought that I must put forth some additional effort into being more social. Yes, I have to admit that human contact is a necessary thing. Hitherto, my 'work family' filled that social need for me, but now I will have search for that connection a bit further afield. As a true introvert this is not really much an issue for me most of the time.

"World Enough & Time" has become a powerful ally for me. It gives credence to my inner beliefs that 'slow' = 'good', not slothfulness. I am savoring my slowness to it's fullest at this point in time. I am at peace with my life as it is and my 'word' for 2014 is going to be 'savor', or if I were to choose a New Year's phrase it might be "savor life in the slow lane".

" World Enough and Time" is available on Amazon, as a book or e-book and, as always, your Indie bookstore would, I am sure, be most happy to provide you with a copy!

6 comments:

Jane Jennings said...

Thank you for the book summary and your very personal writings about the flow of creative thoughts. It was very timely for me, as you will see when you read my last two blog posts
KindredColors.blogspot.com

fkhg said...

Creativity can be seen in this site of the Christian McEwen where you can easily grasp the best phase of the information. With the best skills of http://marketing.biowritingservices.com/ you can really get the best package in this area of the fun.

stoya riley said...

There is a review about some book named World enough and Time. It is a book of 368 pages and published for the first time in 2011. A site like http://www.companyprofilewriter.com/general-supplies-company-profile-writing-service/ has sufficient data for your convenience. It seems to be an amazing book.

Barats said...

There are alot of people who still understand the need of the best readers and writers and http://www.spellingcheck.info/english-spelling-words-for-high-school/ has all of them because we provide them the opportunity to express themselves in the words.

Anonymous said...

Amazing post, Individuals ought to consider once more early going close to the surge of this hurt modernization. This https://www.onlineproofreadingservices.net/ site is extremely useful for the abnormal state understudies.

Anonymous said...

Good post, Exhibiting the condition of the atmosphere which is looking so most exceedingly horrible along these lines horrendous. I know this choose your personal bio writer is the reason that people loathed the winter atmosphere. They are impeccable the road and endeavor to clear it for the all-inclusive community.