Monday, March 28, 2011

"Vintage Jewelry Design Classics To Collect and Wear" by Caroline Cox

* * * * *
I am delightfully book boggled right now. 
What a delight to have piles of brain candy right before my eyes! 

  • Hardcover: 224 pages
  • Publisher: Lark Crafts (April 5, 2011)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-13: 978-1600597145
  • Product Dimensions: 11 x 8.9 x 0.9 inches

I was thoroughly surprised when I opened this book. For some reason the title made me think it was more about designing jewelry - but as I paid more attention I became captivated by this gem of a book.It is, in fact, about jewelry design - the history of jewelry design! Most of you who have read my blog for awhile know that I am a history junkie - so this book was actually really up my alley! Although I don't wear a lot of jewelry myself I sure do appreciate it. Thanks to this book I can now identify the period style that most appeals to me. Who knows - when I win the lottery I may go in search of Belle Epoch jewels!
As you can tell from the contents page the book breaks down jewelry design into decades. What was fashionable during this time - and why was it fashionable? How the particular period of history influenced the design and appeal of fashionable jewelry. Fascinating!
As always Lark books are visually appealing. The layout and photography is always spot on. The author, Caroline Cox is a visiting professor at the London College of Fashion and the focus of her work "explores the relationship between fashion, beauty and culture". Ms. Cox is  a lecturer and a cultural trends advisor. I can't think of much more interesting work
 Lark layouts often seem to employ a grid such as in the photo above. I think this approach works very well -it gives the reader a glimpse of what the pages in the next chapter will cover. Here you can that the period covered is 1910- 1919, there is an example of the fashion, jewelry designs and art that was in vogue at the time
The books covers baubles, bangles, beads, gemstones of incredible value and beauty as well as examples of the fashions and art. Historical notes about well know jewelry designers are included - Faberge, Tiffany, Schlumberger, and Schiaparelli just to name a few. Want to know the history of Bakelite and celluloid? This is the book to grab and read. I love the photos in the book - of famous models, celebrities, high society folks and the titillating world of high fashion
I love the way the book ties everything together. Historical references refer to why certain styles, trends and materials came in to fashion when they did. That information is rounded out with a perfect collection of corresponding fashions, make-up styles and artistic works that defined the decade.
Am I little 'gushy' about this book? Yes! Why? Because it was such a delightful surprise and because it fits right in with my enjoyment of all things fashion, costume, and historical. This book will have a wide appeal I think because it does cover so much. It's perfect, of course, for jewelry designers and all of us who love gems and jewels, but it also will appeal to artists, designers, fashionistas and history buffs . I love this book and it does - for certain - have a spot in my permanent library!










note: this book was provided to me by the publisher for the purpose of an honest review. No other remuneration was received.

8 comments:

nill said...

To be selected in any university for the PhD course that is not so easy. Showing the ability of yours must need first. Professional statement on PhD will create genius approach on selectors mind. I could do it, based on this service. http://www.articlerewriters.org/ take a look here to get more writing information

keo said...

I don't know why these creepy things of my writing are not good. Last time it is not good experience. Now i don't want to make any mistake. May be I will take this service. navigate to this site clicks here for more details that a student’s looking for.

Lesley Jocelyn said...

If personal statement length is longer that doesn't meet the quality it will not fruitful. Sometimes selectors said to use limited words. The free tool of this service is really appreciable. It is so fast and reliable. http://www.rephrasingwebsite.com/ here is the link for further details to get help.

Hildegard Flatley said...

The energetic fundamental of the school makes that specific establishment best in the city as the care of vital is https://www.biowritingservice.com/ especially pivotal. The character of primary in the association is most essential that enhances understudies and educators a man.

Hildegard Flatley said...

I figure, the executives ought to give the books to the understudies as per their wants of perusing to get click here fitting outcomes. Most recent specialized instruction ought to be the inclination of the understudies to end up an effective representative later on.

rosstaylor505 said...

Should there be another persuasive post you can share next time, I’ll be surely waiting for it.
Gems and Jewels

Garage door repair Waldorf MD said...

Garage door maintenance is a crucial process. As a shield between your belongings and the elements, your garage door is a vital feature of your home

garage door repair sterling virginia said...

Ensure your garage door is functional and safe by organizing an appointment for garage door maintenance services.